Local Search Marketing its Free, Easy, and Necessary
Local Search Marketing is a critical tool for local businesses in the digital age. Mobile customers are using smart phones, iPads, and tablets to find local establishments, reviews, prices, menus, and new ideas for local businesses that will meet their needs. Make it easy for them to find you.
What’s the risk of not using it? You miss out on great opportunities to reach customers who are looking for you. Your absence on search sites also makes it easier for customers to find your competition.
Review sites and apps are not new, yet many businesses still don’t utilize their free marketing opportunities. How many times have we all searched for a business only to find outdated information that doesn’t tell you anything about the establishment? How much better would it be if that business simply gave you what you needed to know instantly without further searching?
If you rely on word-of-mouth marketing (and who doesn’t?) search marketing is very targeted, fast and easy to set up, and a free opportunity to connect with potential customers. Tell them you exist. Show them where to find you, what you offer, and when you are open.
Mobile apps are here to stay and mobile marketing is a must for local businesses who want to reach a new technically connected generation of customers. If search marketing is not a part of your current marketing plan, it’s time to revise it.
Here is a list of some of the most popular local search marketing sites. I’ve provided quick links to take you directly to the business pages.
- Google Places
- Yahoo Local
- Nearby from Facebook (simply update your Facebook business Page contact information to be found).
- CitySearch (sign up for an account to add your business)
Don’t just limit your entries to these sites above. Many local search sites and industry specific directories also provide links to local businesses. Get your company’s name on as many local sites as possible.
When updating your information keep these tips in mind:
- Be consistent and accurate with your contact information. Use the same data on all sites. This will help with SEO (search engine optimization) and help you rank higher in searches.
- Use a physical address, city, zip code, phone number, email address, website, and links to your other social media sites. If anything changes, update your sites. Make sure all of this contact information is also available on your company’s website.
- Ask your customers to enter a review and use client testimonials on your site.
You’ll never know which of the services your potential customers are using so it’s best to make sure your contact information is current on each one. Go to each of the sites, set up an account, and spend a few minutes adding your contact information. You’ll give your customers the impression that you are credible, relevant, reachable, and interested in their business. They may even pop over for a visit, find, like, or follow you on a social media site, and tell their friends about you.
If you need help with any of your local marketing needs, email me at: email@example.com. I’m located in the DC Metro area but I can work with you regardless of geographic location (thank you Internet)!